Social Network Analysis and the Web 2.0
The buzz around social networks continues to grow, attracting the attention of companies, policymakers, and us academics. Yet social networks themselves are nothing new —humans have always formed ties to one another, and so have organisations and groups! Online platforms such as Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn are new supports for social networks, but have not invented them! And analysing social networks does not just mean looking at the number of re-tweets, likes and shares: it’s about exploring how ties connect us as individuals and as groups, organisations, and communities in different ways, and how our embeddedness in social networks affects our lives and behaviours.
It is to speak about these topics that I gave a general introduction to social network analysis talk today, at the Research Chair “Réseaux Sociaux”, recently created by C. Balagué at Télécom Ecole de Management in Paris. My introduction was mostly centred on knowledge derived from “old”, i.e. offline, social network analysis; and I constantly raised the question of the extent to which its methods, theoretical foundations, and key findings would apply to today’s web-based networks. I do not have an answer for all cases, though I am sure that the social theories and analytical methods that have been developed within social network analysis still have a lot to tell us today; the challenge is to come to a clear understanding their strengths and limitations for today’s needs.
More to follow on this point… for now, you can just find my presentation here.
Filed under: Social networks, Social science methodology | 1 Comment
Tags: Inter-organisational Networks, Intra-organisational networks, Network Analysis, Networks and Markets, Social science data, social theory, Web, Web-based social networks
I am an economic sociologist with interest in social networks and their impact on markets, organisations, consumer choice and health.
My research also includes work in social science methodology and data.
- RT @anamia: Tweetez #suppression1052 à vos sénateurs anamia.fr/appel-anamia-f… Soutenez l'initiative @FNATCA @anamia contre la création du #de… 2 months ago
- RT @FNATCA: Développer le diagnostic précoce plutôt que pénaliser les auteurs de site pro-ana #suppression1052 sur @LaTacfi 2 months ago
- [Appel] Experts et associations demandent aux sénateurs de ne pas pénaliser l’anorexie sur internet anamia.fr/appel-anamia-f… 2 months ago
- Excellent: "décrypter l’amendement “anti-anorexiques” n1052 de la Loi sur la Santé Publique | Politiques des affects" affects.hypotheses.org/414 2 months ago
- RT @AntonioCasilli: @nicolassahuc @mvoinchet @Nathalie_Godart @ptubaro de plus en plus de voix se lèvent contre les "amendements anti-anore… 2 months ago
Creative Commons Licence
Paola Tubaro's Blog by Paola Tubaro is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at paolatubaro.wordpress.com.